4.2K views

Birch called my small business today, like everyone else they claimed that they are affiliated with AT&T and can lower my per line bill. Naturally I listened to what they had to say to get more info. I was then put on with a supervisor who said he would place me on a hold and then I would hear music and I would need to answer some questions and then get a reference number. He repeated several times that the call is being recorded for both of our protection. This all seemed "fishy" to me, so when he put the hold on I hung up. They immediately called me back and I did not answer. I stared to research the company and found out what a huge SCAM they are trying to pull. Upon research I found out what they are doing is called "Slamming",

I sited this from the FCC website

“Slamming” is the illegal practice of switching a consumer's traditional wireline telephone company for local, local toll, or long distance service without permission. The slamming rules also prohibit unreasonable delays in the execution of an authorized switch by your local telephone company. The Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC’s) slamming liability rules provide a remedy if you've been slammed, discourage slamming by removing the profit, and protect consumers from illegal switches. The FCC’s Enforcement Bureau can also take action against slammers.

A few minutes later they called again and I answered saying that the person in charge of the account was not available and to please remove my number from their directory. The girl recognized my voice from the previous call and called me out saying "oh so you are the one in charge and you aren't available?" I answered yes. She responded saying "oh so you're lying?". Geeze talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I was lying just so I didn't have to deal with them anymore. Regardless when I asked again to be removed I was hung up on.

DO NOT answer any questions for them or unknowingly authorize any changes. This is very sneaky and a terrible way to do business. It sounds to me like they have found loopholes in the FCC rules/laws. I am not one to usually write complaints or reviews but this is just ridiculous!!!!!

Had an Experience with Birch Communications?

Comments

Grand Prairie, Texas, United States #1292322

SAME HERE!

The WORST company EVER in my life.They LIE to you that they will make the phone service cheaper than what you are paying with whatever company you use.

They also lied that they got approved by governments that now the phone service for small business has to be cheap. The total payment was actually MORE than what I usually pay at AT&T. When I called the company, they said it's because with all taxes included, it added up to that amount. When agents advertised to me over the phone, they (I spoke with 3 different people) told me the final price which was cheaper than the previous company that I was using.

It was so ridiculous, so I was going to disconnect the service from Birch. Guess what? The termination fee is freaking $200.00. I had to pay anyways to disconnect them.

Check out yelp.Nobody gave them a good credit because this company is that ***!!

Savannah, Georgia, United States #1237672

OMG WHAT DO I DO NOW? I ANSWERED ALL THE QUESTIONS.

Allen, Texas, United States #1178480

Thank you for taking the time to make this website and write this response about it.Saved me from nearly falling for it.

I literally looked up their company while on the phone with them and came across this!

I immediately told them about this and said I would not be doing business with them.

to Anonymous Iron Mountain, Michigan, United States #1276168

I did the same exact thing. Glad I had my computer handy to look up while I was on the phone.

Detroit, Michigan, United States #1169550

Thank you!This company just called my organization with the same story.

They said it was some "state-wide regulation" on AT&T to lower small business telephone bills.

At first it seemed ok, but I started feeling like something is strange once they switched me over to the manager who stated they were just going to ask me some basic questions on a recording system!I hung up immediately once the system came on and then they called me back twice but I didn't answer.

This is exactly what had happened to me. They even said if I hung up the phone they will continuing call me back. There should be some kind of law to put these scammer in jail

As the bookkeeper for a church and daycare, I handle all our at&t accounts, etc.I received a call from Birch...giving me some info about how the at&t bills were unregulated, etc., and therefore sky high.

I listened to him, and as you described, transferred to someone to "verify/register" the changes. While talking with him I asked about the bills and he said they would now come from Birch. At that point I stopped him and said I would need to check them out. Yours is the first article I've read...thank you.

I'm hoping they didn't get enough info to switch me without my permission.

I would definitely fight it if that happend.I did not get as far as the "music and recorded answers part..."

I DIS AGREE I JUST CAME ON HERE WHILE LISTENING TO THE REP AND SHE WAS VERY DETAILED AND NICE SHE ASKED TO SPEAK TO THE PERSON THAT HANDLES THE ATT ACCT AND I SAID I DO NEVER DID SHE SAY SHE WORKED FOR THEM AND I STOPPED HER AND ASKED WHO BIRCH WAS AND SHE TOLD ME A DISCOUNT RATE PROVIDER AND THAT THEY LEASE THE LINES FROM ATT AND THATS HOW I GET THE DISCOUNT SO I STILL LISTENED AND THEN SHE LET ME KNOW THAT CHARGES WILL FALL OF SUCH AS FEATURE CHARGES SUR CHARGES AND MY LONG DISTANCE WHICH IS GREAT BECAUSE I GET CHARGED $20 ALONE FOR THAT AND LOCAL CALLING IS CHARGED AS WELL THRU ATT BUT NOW I GET IT FOR "FREE" AND TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU THAT YOU NEED TO FORM YOUR OWN DECISION BECAUSE EVERY COMPANY HAS BAD REPS OR BAD REVIEWS BUT SOMETIMES IT CAN BE GOOD FOR THE CUSTOMER AND IF IT IS THEN ITS YOUR TURN TO GET A SHOT TO SAVE IF NOT JUST MOVE ON!!!

NOW IM NOT NORMALLY INTO WRITING REVIEWS BUT WOW I HAD A GOOD EXPERIENCE WITH BIRCH AND NOW I AM SAVING $120 A MONTH ON MY PHONE BILL AND ATT JUST KEPT LOCKING ME IN CONTRACTS AND RAISING MY BILL EVERY THREE MONTHS....

Cbeyond

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced and would like to investigate these concerns immediately.

Please send us an email urgently at cassandra.gulia@birch.com with your account information, and we will have a member of our team reach out to you as a matter of urgency.

Birch

Bartow, Florida, United States #911359

I have had the same trouble with this company....I've been lied to numerous times. This is not a real company. I appreciate this person's complaint and everyone should be aware of this.